Most things in life are better with the support of your BFF…and fitness is no exception to the rule! June 8th marks National Best Friends Day. YouFit is celebrating by giving you and your bestie a chance to sweat together! Not only does working out with your bestie give you added accountability to hit the gym, but you’ll also get the chance to grow both physically and emotionally together. We’ve pulled together a list of three simple yet effective exercises you can do to strengthen your bodies and your friendship.
Squat with Rotational Pass (Equipment: Medicine Ball)
“Good things come to those who squat”, and the only equipment you’ll need for this exercise is a medicine ball!
Step One: Have you and your friend stand with your backs touching, and drop into a deep squat position (ensuring your thighs are parallel to the floor!) Maintain the squat for the duration of the exercise.
Step Two: Have Friend 1 start by holding the medicine ball to their chest, and rotate only using your upper torso to hand the ball off to your partner on the left side.
Step Three: Friend 2 rotates to the right to take the ball, and hand it off. Friend 1 grabs the ball on the opposite side. Repeat for 10 reps and switch directions. Working both sides evenly is key!
Sit-Up Ball Pass (Equipment: Medicine Ball)
Sticking with the almighty medicine ball, this exercise will continue to tone your abs to ensure you’re swimsuit season ready!
- Step One: Lie face-up across from your friend, with your feet flat on the floor.
- Step Two: Friend 1 should start with the ball, arms extended overhead.
- Step Three: Slowly raise into a sit-up position facing Friend 2, while bringing your arms and medicine ball up.
- Step Four: Friend 2 should also perform a sit-up simultaneously without the ball, before Friend 1 hands the ball off to Friend 2.
Step Five: As you both lower back to the floor, Friend 2 holds the ball and gently taps it on the floor behind their head before sitting up and passing the ball back to Friend 1. Teamwork makes the dream work!
Wheelbarrow Push-Up With Squat
It simply wouldn’t be a workout if we didn’t throw at least one pushup into the mix!
- Step One: Friend 1 begins in a high plank position (making sure to hold your core tight!)
- Step Two: Friend 2 stands by their feet, ready to carefully lift up Friend 1’s ankles into a wheelbarrow position.
- Step Three: Friend 1 starts to do a push-up, ensuring their back is kept straight and core kept tight.
- Step Four: As Friend 1 slowly lowers to the ground, Friend 2 pushes their hips back, bends their knees, and performs a squat.
- Step Five: As Friend 1 push-ups back to the starting position, Friend 2 stands up. Do 10 reps each, and switch positions.
Science proves that those who exercise with a buddy are more likely to stick with a fitness routine than those who work out alone! Friends that sweat together, STAY together – and YouFit is here to make sure you make the most of your special day by “lifting” each other up. Ready to get started?